It’s happening, it’s really happening: Jeon Ji-hyun is re-teaming with her "You From Another Star" writer, Park Ji-eun, for a new drama co-starring Lee Min-ho (Heirs), with a high likelihood of him reuniting with his City Hunter director, PD Jin Hyuk. Is China even going to be able to handle the excitement? I half expect the country to sell out of every single thing featured in the drama within its first week.
In fact, reports state that this project is already attracting the highest-ever sum for a Hallyu drama licensed in China, having received an initial offer for licensing rights from a Chinese distributor at $50,000 USD per episode. This is nearly double the current top amount, which was Descended From the Sun at $27,000 USD per episode. That’s pretty remarkable, given that nothing’s been filmed yet, or divulged beyond the barest details. Although, considering that the popularity of their projects did lead to the production of an honest-to-goodness Chinese drama named Heirs From Another Star, it probably shouldn’t be surprising.
The casting of the actors had been previously reported as possibilities, but now we have a confirmation for Jeon, Lee, and writer Park, while PD Jin is named as a probable director. We did know he was talking to writer Park about working together, and the project has been picked up by SBS (where PD Jin is contracted), so I’m fairly confident that we can expect him to confirm. We also have a (working) title for the project and a basic premise: It will be titled Legend of the Blue Sea, and it’s based on the story of the Little Mermaid—the Hans Christian Andersen version, that is, not the sunnier Disney interpretation.
That doesn’t mean it’ll necessarily be a sad story (I expect the opposite, in fact); Koreans and Korean dramas just have a penchant for story of the sad mermaid who loved a prince unrequitedly, and disappeared into bubbles when she couldn’t bring herself to kill him to win back her own life. K-dramas are a sucker for the angsty romances, but I’m pretty sure we can count on a happy ending. Lest there be rioting.
Legend of the Blue Sea is planning for a 20-episode run on SBS in October.
Park Ji Eun wrote the drama “My Love From The Star,” which stars Jun Ji Hyun and is highly popular in China. Her new project is tentatively titled “Legend of the Blue Sea” and reportedly stars Jun Ji Hyun and Lee Min Ho.
A representative of the production company said on May 30, “After working out some final details, the official announcement will be sometime this week.” The representative claimed that the two actors had met with Park Ji Eun and come to an agreement.
With such big names attached to the project, the drama is inciting high interest from famous Chinese broadcasters. One company has offered $500,000 for the licensing rights while the production company has hinted that the rights may go for as high as $600,000.
A director of a management company is being investigated by police regarding actor Lee Min-ho and a 1.3 billion (~US$1.35 million) fraud charge.
Seoul Gangnam Police revealed that Kang and 4 others earned a large sum of money in return for Lee Min-ho's concert contract details.
Apparently, Kang and the 4 met with another management director in Shanghai and passed over the details for Lee Min-ho's exclusive concert for 1.35 billion won. Results of the investigation showed that they didn't have the contract on them.
Kang was charged with sexually trafficking celebrities in 2014 and committed the same crime again.
Meanwhile, Lee Min-ho's management MYM Entertainment is being cautious about approaching this matter.
Promiz, a fundraising platform designed by actor Lee Min-ho, has won the Korea Good Brand Awards, Lee’s agency MYM Entertainment said Thursday.
Founded in June 2014, Promiz has come up with projects involving Lee’s fans. Promiz operated the nonprofit “Good Market,” which saw all profits going to charity. Promiz’s web platform “Knock” donates 100 won (8 cents) per new subscriber to the website, which aims to surpass 100,000 subscribers.
According to MYM Entertainment, the project has donated some 400 million won in total -- with 350 million in cash, and 50 million in products. Such proceeds went to various communities including Holt Children’s Services, UNICEF and Food Bank.
Promiz is not Lee’s only project for a good cause To mark the 10th anniversary since his debut, Lee was involved in a project in Inner Mongolia where he and his fans planted 510 trees. Lee’s Mexican fans gathered used bottles and bottle caps, and donated profits from the collection to young leukemia patients.
The state-sponsored Korea Good Brand Awards is designed to recognize brands that have a high level of confidence from customers.
Televiewers fell in love with Lee Min-ho as the rich but deceptively arrogant Gu Jun-pyo in “Boys Over Flowers.” But when we interviewed the 28-year-old actor via e-mail last week, we realized he was far from the bully he portrayed to polarizing perfection in the cult Koreanovela that catapulted him to superstardom in 2009.
The actor has decided to parlay his popularity into a “secondary career” as an agent of social change—to shine the spotlight on his advocacy for clean water.
Lee Min Ho’s agency, MYM Entertainment, revealed details about the actor’s enlistment and said, “Will serve as a public service officer regardless of when he decides to begin his military service. We are looking at early next year.”
The decision to enlist the actor as a public service officer instead of an active duty soldier comes from a history of physical injuries due to car accidents. In 2006 Lee Min Ho was involved in a car accident that resulted in a leg injury that required the insertion of metal screws. Although the surgical procedure had no negative affect on his daily life, he got the metal screws removed when they got in the way of filming action scenes.
Furthermore, when filming for drama “City Hunter” back in 2011, he was involved in another car accident that destroyed half of the vehicle he was in. Thus, his poor condition during his physical check-up qualified Lee Min Ho to serve as a public service officer when he begins his mandatory military service.
Last month Lee Min Ho stated in a Chinese interview, “I have not decided exactly when I will start my military service.” He is currently slated to appear on a SBS drama written by Park Ji Eun at the end of this year, which will likely be Lee Min Ho’s last work before enlisting. The actor is also looking forward to the premiere of his first Chinese film, “Bounty Hunters.”
SEOUL, May 19 (Yonhap) -- Actor Lee Min-ho has been exempted from active military service required of all able-bodied South Korean men because of his medical history, his talent agency said Thursday.
The 28-year-old will instead work in the public service for about two years, MYM Entertainment said, adding it has not been decided when he will start the service.
The decision was made because he has screws in a leg he broke in a car accident in 2009.
Lee has recently filmed "Bounty Hunters," a South Korean-Chinese movie that will be released in July.
South Korea requires all capable men to serve in the military for about two years to counter threats from North Korea, with which it technically remains at war. The 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice, not a peace treaty.
Actor Lee Min-ho’s big screen debut in China “Bounty Hunters” will premiere on July 1 in China.
The South Korean-Chinese production was originally slated to be released in mid-June, but this was delayed to make the film higher quality and to target the busy theater season which starts from July.
“The movie is expected to have popular appeal, since it is an action-comedy blockbuster,” said an official from its production company Starhaus Entertainment.
With investments of about 30 billion won, the big-budget film revolves around bounty hunters and features various locations in South Korea, China, Malaysia and Thailand.
Lee plays the lead role of Lee San, who is smart, good at martial arts and charming. Other cast members include Hong Kong actor Wallace Chung and Chinese actress Tang Yan.
The film’s director Shin Tae-ra was also behind “My Girlfriend is an Agent” (2008) and “Runway Cop” (2012).
The movie is also set to be screened on Monday at 10 a.m. at the 69th Cannes Film Festival.
May 10, 2016 officially marks actor Lee Min Ho's 10th anniversary since debut!
The actor has undoubtedly spent this memorable day with unbound joy, as fans all over the world sent him gifts, trended #10yearswithLeeMinHo in various countries on Twitter, and made several generous donations in Lee Min Ho's name.
The actor took to his Instagram to thank all of his wonderful fans, posing in front of delicious anniversary cakes and all kinds of fan gifts, with the following hashtags:#10years #actorleeminho #thanks and #iloveyou!
We hope to see Lee Min Ho continue a long and prosperous acting career!